The conference is starting to take shape after a few weeks and a couple of coastal teams in Miami and Pitt are showing promise for a chance at the ACC title. It is also clear that several teams in the conference have some serious issues they need to address. There could be a heated battle come the end of the season for who claims last place in the ACC.
@Pittsburgh 23 Louisville 20
The Pitt Panthers are off to a good start with 3 wins on the season. Their defense once again took control of the game forcing three INTs and seven sacks. Louisville's QB, Cunningham, was battered all game and was injured late and had to be taken off the field on a stretcher with an apparent head injury. Pitt's offense hasn't looked dominant but Kenny Pickett is taking care of the ball and doing just enough to compliment his defense.
@Syracuse 37 Georgia Tech 20
Georgia Tech started the game handing Syracuse good field position with turnovers. It sparked what was an anemic Syracuse offense and Georgia Tech struggled to get back into the game. The Tech defense failed to produce pressure and Syracuse QB Tommy Devito was able to hit several deep strikes downfield for touchdowns. Syracuse running back, Sean Tucker, had himself a good day with 112 yards rushing and two touchdowns.
@Virginia 38 Duke 20
This game saw each team go back and forth with scoring runs until Virginia pulled away at the start of the fourth quarter. Chase Brice struggled for Duke once again with 4 INTs thrown to go along with 2 fumbles. Virginia had its share of turnover trouble with three, including fumbling the opening kick off. It wasn’t a clean game for either team but Virginia’s defense kept Duke from getting any production from its running game with only 56 yards allowed.
@Virginia Tech 45 NC State 24
The Hokies didn’t take long to get settled in their first game of the season as they were up 31-7 at the half. They even did it without starting QB Hendon Hooker and 22 other players out due to COVID. NC State won the time of possession but they allowed VT to score several touchdowns in just a few plays. VT also had 314 rushing yards on the day with Khalil Herbert accounting for 104 yards and a touchdown.
@Boston College 24 Texas State 21
Texas State lead the game until the final seconds when Boston College booted the winning field goal after Texas St failed to run out the clock with two 3-and-outs. Boston College couldn’t muster much offensive production falling just shy of 300 total yards and only 87 on the ground. Texas State gave Boston plenty of short fields though with an interception on their own goal and a poor punting game.
@Miami 52 Florida State 10
This turned into another confirmation that FSU has some serious problems. Miami ran up the score early behind a D’Eriq King’s two touchdown passes and a strong rushing attack from multiple Miami running backs. King himself led in rushing yards but Cam’Ron Harris and Donald Chaney both punched in two touchdowns each. FSU didn’t help matters with three turnovers and twelve penalties committed.
- Clemson (LW1) - The Tigers took a break this week and will host Virginia next week. It should be a step up from Wake and The Citadel but Clemson should still outgun them.
- Notre Dame (LW2) - The game against Wake was canceled for the Irish and we will have to wait another week to see them in action after their bye. They should be 3-0 after they play again as they have FSU next on the list.
- Miami (LW3) - I debated moving Miami up into the second spot but beating FSU is so easy even Georgia Tech can do it. Joking aside, Miami is starting to look more like a contender each week. They have a bye this week before taking on Virginia.
- Pittsburgh (LW5) - The Panthers may not light anyone up on offense but their defense is probably the best next to Clemson’s. They have a winnable game against NC State next week which would give them 3 straight ACC wins.
- North Carolina (LW4) - Carolina had a bye this week after having a game canceled last week. We’ve seen a limited sample but they should get a good test against Boston College next week.
- Virginia Tech (LW14) - The Hokies move up now that they have played a game this season. It was a convincing win over North Carolina State even with almost half the team sitting out due to COVID. They should look good again this week against Duke if they get a lot of their players back.
- Virginia (LW14) - Reigning Coastal Champs got their season underway with a comfortable win over Duke. The offense moved well in the first game without former QB Bryce Petty. This week will show who they really are when they head to Clemson.
- Boston College (LW7) - The Eagles got the win but it was a close call to Texas State. The running game will need to improve to get wins in the ACC. UNC comes to Boston this week in what will be a tough matchup.
- Syracuse (LW12) - Well, the Cuse seemed to right some of their issues plaguing them in earlier games against Tech. It wasn't always clean but they got some big plays off and took advantage of Tech miscues. They’ll have a bye before welcoming Duke.
- Louisville (LW6) - The Cardinals defense is really starting to show some holes and the offense couldn’t get going against a stout Pitt defense. Cunningham was injured late in the game and Louisville will need him back to keep the offense humming. He will have time to heal with a bye before traveling to Georgia Tech.
- Georgia Tech (LW8) - Tech is starting to show their youth as miscues have killed them over the past two weeks. They will get a break to work on things until Louisville comes to town a week later.
- North Carolina St (LW9) - The Wolfpack had a close win against Wake the previous week but never looked to have a chance against a short-handed Virginia Tech team. The offense needs to step up this week or it will be another long day against Pitt.
- Wake Forest (LW13) - Wake’s game against Notre Dame was canceled and they should get a tune-up this week against Campbell on Thursday.
- Duke (LW11) - Duke is one of the two winless teams in the ACC and the offense has given up to many turnovers each game. Virginia Tech looked good this week and could keep Duke in a downward spiral this week.
- Florida State (LW10) - The Seminoles claim last as the other winless team. In two games they have looked awful and players are transferring left and right each week. They should get a needed win against Jacksonville St this week but nothing is guaranteed at this point.