So we all know a good bit about Tech’s football, basketball and baseball teams, but we also tend to forget about some of the other sports Tech has to offer. That’s what this weekly piece is going to be all about. I started this last year, but I hope to be able to improve upon it this year, with more consistent coverage. Anyway, let’s start looking at some of what Tech athletics has to offer.
Note: Each sport will be going in alphabetical order, with the women’s sport coming before the men’s sport.
The season hasn’t started yet, but the Lady Jackets did add Ginger Sanford to their staff, serving as the office manager/administrative coordinator. Before coming to Tech, Sanford worked for five years as an executive assistant to the Owner/CEO of the Atlanta Dream, as well as spending this past year with the Women’s Basketball Coaching Association as the assistant to the CEO.
Cross Country (Women’s and Men’s)
The Men’s and Women’s Cross Country teams got their season off to a pretty solid start, with both teams finishing 1-1 against Kennesaw State and UGA.
The Women’s team beat KSU 20-43 and fell to UGA 18-39, while the Men’s team beat KSU 15-50 and fell to UGA 22-33.
- Mary Prouty (So.): sixth place - 5K (18:24.50)
- Mary Claire Solomon (Fr.): seventh place - 5K (18:27.47)
- Amy Ruiz (So.): eight place - 5K (18:35.03)
- Nahom Solomon (Jr.): second place - 8K (25:15.13)
- Mitchell Sanders (So.): sixth place - 8K (25:45.41)
- Matt McBrien (So.): seventh place - 8K (26:12.07)
- Jack Bordoni (Gs.): tied-eight place - 8K (26:16.52)
- Tanner Shaw (Jr.): tenth place - 8K (26:25.56)
Next Event: September 24 | Roy Griak Invitational | Minneapolis, Minn.
The season hasn’t started yet, but the fall schedule has been announced and can be found here: Link. The schedule features four events for the Jackets this season:
- Carpet Capital Collegiate, Rocky Face, Ga. (The Farm Golf Club) - 9/9-9/11
- Maui Jim Invitational, Scottsdale, Ariz. (Mirabel Country Club) - 9/23-9/25
- Golf Club of Georgia Collegiate, Alpharetta, Ga. (Golf Club of Georgia) - 10/21-10/23
- Cypress Point Classic, Pebble Beach, Calif. (Cypress Point Golf Club) - 10/31-11/1
Like it has been for a few other sports, the season has not yet started, but the fall schedule has been released and can be found here: Link.
Swimming & Diving
Wouldn’t you know it? The season has not yet started, but the 2016-17 schedule has been released and can be found here: Link.
And last, but not least, the season has not yet started, but the 2016-17 schedule has been released and can be found here: Link.
Finally a sport where the season has started! This past week, the Lady Jackets took part in the Kansas State Invite with Tennessee State, Michigan and Kansas State.
Here are the final results from each of the matches from the meet:
- Georgia Tech - Tennessee State (W 3-0)
- Georgia Tech - Michigan (L 1-3)
- Georgia Tech - Kansas State (L 2-3)
Next Event: September 8-9 |Georgia Challenge featuring Georgia State, Kennesaw State, and UGA