Each Week FTRS will take apart the traditional box score and present our readers with the key insights on how the game was played. You can view all the Advanced Box Score stories in the Football Analytics Story Stream. For any questions about the metrics listed below please first refer to the Advanced Stats Glossary for definitions.
Well, this game was awesome. I think you'll see that this was probably our most complete performance of the season.
Advanced Box Score
|Georgia Tech 56 - NC State 23|
|Passing Downs||Quarter Performance|
|GT||NC State||GT||NC State|
|Plays||12||20||Yards / Play||Success Rate||Yards / Play||Success Rate|
|Yards / Play||11.5||6.2||Q1||10.35||76%||5.88||56%|
|Yards / Play||6.85||5.67||GT||NC State|
|Success Rate||73%||49%||Yards / Play||Success Rate||Yards / Play||Success Rate|
|Yards / Play||8.75||5.61||4||-||-||1||100%|
|Success Rate||63%||39%||Drive Performance|
|Sack Rate (SD / PD)||0.0% / 0.0%||0.0% / 5.0%||Drives||Avg Start Spot||% Methodical||% Explosive|
|GT||NC State||NC State||11||73||18%||18%|
|Plays||64||27||% of Possible Yards Gained||GT: 94%||NCST: 44%|
|Yards / Play||7.48||6.15||Georgia Tech Hidden Yards||42|
|Success Rate||72%||56%||Turnovers||GT: 1||NCST: 3|
Here are some of my key observations, feel free to put your own in the comments.
- You can quote any statistic on offense and feel great, but my favorite from this game was that our offense gained 94% of the possible yards it could. NINETY-FOUR PERCENT. That is unreal, you just don't see that often. No sacks allowed for the 2nd straight game, 72% success rate on running plays. I mean, this is one of the most dominating performances of the year for our offense.
- In the third quarter NC State gained a total of 6 yards on 6 plays. The game was pretty much over at half-time, but this defense helped put the nails in the coffin.
- Our defense obviously forced a lot of turnovers, and as you can see in the Win Probability Section those pretty much put the game away, but I was disappointed with the lack of pressure we were putting on Brissett. Before the turnover-fest they were able to drive down the field twice with ease and were on their to another touchdown. I think this may be about as good as they are going to play though.
Win Probability Chart
- The Wolfpack had a 68% chance of winning the game before the 1st pick thrown by Brissett. 3 minutes of game time later their win probability had dropped to 11%. Talk about a sudden turn of events.
- Those four NC State drives in the 2nd quarter were kind of crazy. I feel like this Tech team has more crazy events happen against them than any other team in my memory; Allow Georgia Southern to almost come back from down 28, 6 fumbles against Pitt, the turnovers in this game. Just a wild and fun team to root for.
If you have any comments, questions, or criticisms then put them in the comments!