Chalk one up for Paul Johnson for beating a team with extra preparation. Take that critics....
The drive from Chapel Hill to Atlanta is a long one, I've done it multiple times, after losing and winning. While driving home after a win is always a plus but regardless of the outcome, it's an exhausting drive. On Saturday, the Yellow Jackets netted their first ACC win of the season and took one more step towards defending their conference title by winning 30-24 against the Tar Heels. Overall, the game had its frustrating points but I would go ahead and notch this in the "improved category" Here are my quick thoughts:
- Personnel, personnel, personnel! We simply lack key players in key positions this year and it is going to make us struggle at times. I would expect a lot more of our wins to look similar to that of Saturday. Bird sent me a text on Sunday afternoon: "I think groh is a lot better than wommack but his players aren't better." Give it some time...
- I think the 2nd half adjustments all around were much improved
- I sure wish I could see an A-back get hit in the chest with a pitch and hold onto the ball
- Orwin Smith averaged 73 yards per carry on Saturday!
- Offense just seemed to click better this past weekend: Anthony Allen ran 20 times for 115 yards, Nesbitt ran for 106 and a touchdown as well as he passed for a touchdown. Overall the wreckbone put up 448 yards of offense with 3 touchdowns.
- Biggest concern continues to be our defensive line as we again gave up 100 yards to a running back (Johnny White)
- A UNC fan told me later that night that our offense was like an M. Night Shyamalan movie: He heard how good it was but when he finally saw it he was disappointed but he couldn't look away. I choose to take that as a compliment.
What were your biggest takeaways from the football game?