2013 Georgia Tech/NFL Draft Notes
· Last year, WR Stephen Hill was drafted in the second round (43rd selection overall) by the New York Jets.
· Over the last seven drafts combined, 18 Yellow Jackets have been selected.
· The most Yellow Jackets taken in one draft was 10 in 1954, but that included seven players taken in round 13 or later. In the more modern era, seven were drafted in 1979, paced by two first-round picks -- Eddie Lee Ivery and Kent Hill.
· Four Yellow Jackets were selected in the 2010 NFL draft including two first-round picks - Derrick Morgan 16th pick overall to Tennessee and Demaryius Thomas 22nd to Denver.
· In 2009, four Yellow Jackets were taken in the draft: DE Michael Johnson (3rd round, 70th pick, Cincinnati), OL Andrew Gardner (6th round, 181st pick, Miami), DT Vance Walker (7th round, 210th pick, Atlanta), DT Darryl Richard (7th round, 234th pick, New England).
· In 2008, three Yellow Jackets were taken in the draft: linebacker Philip Wheeler (3rd round to Indianapolis), running back Tashard Choice (4th round to Dallas) and punter Durant Brooks (6th round to Washington). Linebacker Gary Guyton was undrafted but signed with New England as a free agent and became a solid contributor for the Patriots. Fullback Mike Cox was also undrafted but signed with the Kansas City Chiefs, where he emerged as a starter.
· In the overall history of the draft, Georgia Tech has produced 206 NFL draft picks. Just for a point of perspective, Virginia Tech has produced 134 draft picks.
· There were 21 former Tech players on NFL rosters at the close of the 2012 season, including Anthony Allen, who won a Super Bowl ring with the Baltimore Ravens.
· Since 1970, 19 Yellow Jacket linebackers have been drafted - more than any other position group, followed by offensive line (18), defensive backs (14), wide receivers (12) and defensive line (10).
· Since 2007, two Tech wide receivers - Calvin Johnson in 2007 and Demaryius Thomas in 2010 - were first-round selections.
· There were four Yellow Jacket wide receivers in the NFL in 2012 - Calvin Johnson, Demaryius Thomas, Stephen Hill and Kevin Cone.
· Three Tech specialists have been taken in the draft since 1970 - most recently punter Durant Brooks in 2008.
· Two former Jackets who currently work in the Edge Center here on the Tech campus were drafted - Lucius Sanford in 1978 and Randy Rhino in 1975.
· Which NFL teams have drafted the most Georgia Tech players? Since 1970, the Atlanta Falcons have drafted six Yellow Jackets. That includes Ken Whisenhunt, the former Arizona Cardinals head coach, selected by Atlanta in the 12th round of the 1985 draft. Baltimore has also drafted six Yellow Jackets since 1970. Detroit, Green Bay, New England and Seattle have drafted five Yellow Jackets each since 1970.
· Since 1970, Oakland and Carolina are the only NFL teams that have never drafted a Georgia Tech player.
· Since 2000, 29 Yellow Jackets have been taken in the NFL draft. Since 1990, 51 former Tech players have been taken in the draft.
· The ACC holds NFL Draft records for most first-round selections (12) and most overall picks (51), both which occurred in the 2006 draft.
We'll publish scouting reports on a few of our draft-hopefuls as this week progresses. Keep an eye out!
Which Tech players do you expect to see drafted this year, if anyone? What rising seniors do you see having high draft stocks next year?