Jake Roth-US PRESSWIRE
Sorry for the hiatus, we've been a little busy in school this past week with Finals. The Jackets took on UNC-Wilmington last week. The Jackets trailed at half, but they were able to come out with a W. Here is a few things that I think we all learned from this game.
I want to start by congratulating Marcus Georges-Hunt for winning ACC Rookie of the Week for Week 6. This is his second time winning this award this year, and just shows fans exactly what they can look forward to for the next few years. There is a lot of potential in this team.
Here are the audios from the Post Game Press Conference:
My opinion, this game showed us exactly what Tech was made of (in a good way) as well as taught the young team a few things.
- The production out of Robert Carter Jr. against UNC-W was great with career high 19 total points and 9 total rebounds. We have been waiting for Robert to produce this season, and I think his contribution is only going to get better. He has a great head on his shoulders and I think he will develop into a great leader on this team soon.
- Tech has shot well from behind the arch for the past two games. While they still rank last in the ACC at 31.2%, they are improving, and that is all you can ask for right now.
- Finishing the game. Tech has let up leads in both of their loses this semester, and almost lost against UGA when the Bulldogs surged late in the game a few weeks ago. The fact that they were able to come back late in the game and not give up is something worth commemorate. This is an important experience with a young Yellow Jacket team, especially this early in the season.
Need to Work on:
- Rebounding! Everyone knows it. CBG and Carter Jr. talks about it in the press conference after the UNC-W game. They are playing against smaller teams, yet they are still getting outrebounded, most recently against UNC-W. The Jackets are going to need to pick this up if they want to compete with the big dogs come January and ACC play starts.
- Free throws. This needs to get better. Period. I don’t know what else to say. There is no excuse for missing free throws.
- Win Margin. Not to underrate these next few games for the Jackets, but these games against Alabama St., Citadel, Fordham, and Chattanooga should not be as difficult as most other games for the Jackets. I would expect that the team is looking to dominate these next few games. After watching how close the UNC-W game was, fans hope that the Jackets can begin to win more comfortably and start to score more. Brian Gregory’s offense is currently last in the ACC for total offensive points. At the same time, they rank top few in the ACC for least points against defense, keeping the Jackets competitive against their opponents.
Tech continues their home streak tonight at 7pm against Alabama St. at McCamish Pavilion. Games can also be seen on ESPN3 and on the radio.