The North Carolina linemen were much bigger than Georgia Tech's but when it came down to it, the Yellow Jackets overcame adversity and got the stops and the production it needed to fulfill a victory and an undefeated September.
Some pretty big errors were caused on the field Saturday leaving a void of 17 points and causing some uneasiness in the fourth quarter for Georgia Tech fans. Fortunately, when absolutely needed the defense applied the right amount of pressure and forced Carolina to make the final mistake of the game in an illegal shift penalty to runoff the clock.
- Even with the team mistakes, Tevin Washington is continuing to illustrate why he kept the starting position for 2011. He has become a very good game manager who is making good reads and is properly knowing when to hold the ball.
- Orwin Smith ran the ball 7 times for 79 yards but for the first time this season, did not score a touchdown. Orwin, once you build us up with expectations you only hurt us more! Just kidding, the A-back combinations of Roddy Jones, Embry Peeples, and Orwin Smith seem to be the right combinations of what Paul Johnson is cooking. Georgia Tech fans should get used to that lineup.
- Offensive line scheming nullified big Quinton Coples. Coples is the projected overall #2 draft pick for the 2012 NFL Draft and only had 1 tackle with 4 assists on Saturday. Big big and dangerous is good, but it doesn't matter when you can just run around him.
- Stephen Hill is improving and stepping into his role like we all expected. His one drop on Saturday however, shouldn't be ignored.
- As we all know, the last time Georgia Tech was 4-0 in football was back in 1990. But did you also know that at that time, the Yellow Jackets were still unranked? Latest polls have Georgia Tech ranked #21 in both the Coaches' and AP Polls. Blogpoll rankings will come out Tuesday at 9AM EST.
Speaking of Stephen Hill, this was just MANLY:
"I was proud of our guys and especially the way we came back in the fourth quarter" said Paul Johnson.
And after the way the first three games were played, our team needed a little gut check. Looks like they passed because a win is a win. And we're 4-0
What were your observations?