1. Rushing Offense - 95.67 Yards Per Game is the worst in conference play by almost 10 yards. Tech averages around 273 yards per ACC match in 2011.
2. Offensive Touchdowns - The Devils have only scored 13 touchdowns in 6 conference games as opposed to Clemson who has scored 32 in 7 games.
3. Interceptions - The Dukies have only picked off 2 passes in conference play.
4. Tackles for Loss - Duke is tied with BC with only 29 tackles for loss in 2011 against ACC teams.
5. Yards per Carry - Notice a theme? Duke is last in conference play in terms of yards per carry picking up only 3.07 yards per rush.
How bad is the historically atrocious Duke rushing attack? They are ranked 113 out of 120 in the country in yards per game. The 7 teams below them have a combined win total of only 21 wins. Ever since Thaddeus Lewis left Duke, the Devils have struggled to have any semblance of a rushing attack. The Dukies haven't sniffed a 1,000 yard rusher since Chris Douglas in 2003.
Tech should blow through the Dukies. Sean Renfree is struggling in 2011 without the running game. He's thrown 9 picks to 8 TD's and has not had much help from his receiving corps. For perspective, Tech has thrown two more TD's and 4 less picks than the Devils' primary passer. As far as getting hit, Renfree has been sacked 42 times in his career including 16 times in 2011.
Defensively, the Devils aren't as bad as Maryland but they're still 11th or 12th in most statistical categories. I don't foresee the Devils having much motivation considering they are 3 games shy of a bowl game with nothing to play for. Tech should roll. For more historical perspective, check out my rivalry rundown of the Blue Devils.
Tech 30, Duke 13. If we can avoid injuries and head punching penalties, then a Tech victory is assured.